Friday, March 4, 2011

Cheer Mom...

It's that time already.

My daughter is in Jr. High, and she has decided that she would like to try out for cheerleader.

Now, if you know me AT ALL, you know that I was a BIG cheerleader in my school girl days. Big. As in "loved it with my whole heart, didn't care about much else, practiced in my bedroom all the time" kind of big. I thought it was GREAT.

But now I'm a mom, and I'm not sure what I think about it anymore. I don't really WANT her to wear a cute skirt and yell for young boys playing sports... I want her to want to go and play her OWN sports. I want her to be strong and confident and independent. And I don't know if cheering teaches that. I guess it COULD - in the right situations, but ...UGH.

I have resigned myself to the fact that she wants to do this, and I will let her, because I remember how I loved it. BUT... at the same time, I'll be preaching about self-importance and independence and growing up to be a strong woman who can take care of herself.

Kinda like her mama...

2 comments:

Shelley said...

She will grow up to be a strong, independent girl/women even if she is cheerleader! I know she will... Hey, We turned out Ok... Didnt we??? Somedays I wonder! We are super proud of Miss Katie. She can do anything she sets her mind too. Cant wait to see what the next years bring :)

Anonymous said...

You're right! You have the right goal in mind. Love, Mom