Monday, March 10, 2008

Good, Old Fashioned Chicken Fried Steak

Last night I made some chicken fried steak, and I actually followed a recipe.  (Usually I just dip the steak in flour, and then the breading all falls off.)  This recipe had a new idea for the breading, and a new idea for keeping it on the steak, and... IT WORKED and it was delicious.  I can't promise that it is a HEALTHY meal, but it sure was yum-bo.  SO... here it is!


Old Fashioned Chicken Fried Steak

6-8 medium sized round steak, pounded and tenderized
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
4 cups fine dry bread crumbs
1 1/4 cups fine cracker crumbs (I used saltines smashed with a rolling pin)
Oil for frying
Salt and Pepper to taste

Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. (Important!!  Choose a cookie sheet that will fit in your freezer!!)  In a shallow bowl, combine egg and milk.  Mix well.  In another shallow bowl combine bread crumbs and cracker crumbs. Salt and Pepper the crumbs to taste.  Dip the steaks in the egg mixture, then in the crumbs, then back in the egg mixture, and then back in the crumbs.  Place steak on the cookie sheet and freeze for about one hour.  (THIS IS THE KEY!!!  Freezing the coated meat makes the crumbs stick to the steak while cooking!  Eureka!  The secret is out!!)  Remove steak from freezer and fry in a skillet of deep, hot oil.

Yummy, yummy, yummy.  Make a little cream gravy and some mashed potatoes and you will be in country-cookin' heaven!  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Shelley said...

Yeah!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I will have to do this. You need my potato cake recipe that you make with a cup of mashed potatoes. That would top it all off... OH how I love chicken fried steak, gravy, potatoes!!! YUMMY:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Killer said...

I can't wait to try this recipe. I love CFS. I love the blog too. BTW, I have started one called killermoviereviews.blogspot.com. Check it out when you're curious about a recent movie!

Killer said...

By the way, Killer is me, Matthew. Its a Young Life nickname!