Saturday, January 5, 2008

Christmas Trees and Kitty Cats

Yes, it's still up... Every day I think, "This will be the day! I KNOW I'll have time today to take down that tree!" But, every day, I don't. Yesterday was going to be THE DAY, no matter what! But, I had cat issues... I guess I should explain.

We had an appointment early Friday morning to take our cats in to the vet. Our "Mama" Cat needed to be spayed before she had any more kittens, and all the kittens needed to go in for their shots. We were supposed to lock the Mama cat up the night before to be sure that she had nothing to eat or drink after midnight. So, after putting the kids to bed, I went out to get her (on the coldest night of this winter so far, mind you!) and, of course, I couldn't find her. I looked everywhere. I called her. I took out a can of super-stinky cat food. Nothing. Great. So, the next morning, I did what any good mother would do... I sent Katie out to find her! And, naturally, she found her. Our next task was to find and catch all 4 kittens. This SOUNDS easy, but two of the kittens are WILD. So, I took my secret weapon, Katie, with me out to the well house (where the kittens like to hide), to catch them. The nice kitties were easily caught and deposited in the big kennel with their mother. Then we started to work on the wild ones. We chased them all over the well house, and finally after about an hour (and spilt blood from Katie and me), we gave up. I told Katie we would have to go with the kitties we had, and worry about the others later. We came in to wash off the blood and get ready. Meanwhile, the wild kitties came up to the porch of our house! So, when we walked outside to leave, there they were - sitting primly on the wood pile! I talked nicely to them and calmly walked over and picked one up and then THREW IT IN THE SMALL KENNEL! Oh, the kitten was MAD. She hissed and spit and howled and kicked and literally threw herself against the side of the kennel. But, we loaded the two kennels in the car and left for the vet (still with only 3 kittens - not 4). About half way to the vet, Katie informs me that she believes one cat has pooped. I told her surely she was wrong, but then I smelled a strange smell. The wild kitty had not pooped, but had urinated ALL OVER the kennel! (Thank God for plastic kennels!!!!!) We finally get to the vet, and have to pour kitty urine out of the kennel before we can go in. I'm sure you can guess how that kitten looked - mad as a hornet, and covered in urine!! Luckily, the vet still took care of her, and we left the Mama Cat there and brought the kittens back home. When we got back home, who was sitting on the porch? That's right - the 4th kitten. Licking himself, and very proud. I calmly cooed and talked to him until I got close and then SCOOPED HIM UP AND THREW HIM INTO THE KENNEL!!!! Of course, then I had to come inside and call the vet and explain that now I had the 4th kitten - could they please squeeze us in? They were kind, so we loaded BACK into the car and drove BACK into town and saw the vet again.

Anyway, all this long story to say that, no matter what my plans are, I wind up doing the "fun" jobs in our lives, like kittens, instead of doing the "other fun jobs", like taking down the Christmas Tree! Isn't my world fun?!?!?!??!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I finally got my tree down today!! Yeah for me. Kenna is still sick so she and I stayed home from church. Then she found a comfy blanket on the floor in my room and crashed for a nap. YES, the much needed 2 hours I needed to get that stinkin tree and all the "stuff" put away!! I'll pray for you a much needed couple of hours tomorrow. Maybe Gracie will find a nice comfy blanket on the floor and crash as well? OHH, I forgot, she's already been sick lately. That's the only way we can get these girls to crash isn't it?!